Straight Allies are people who do not identify as LGBT but have an interest in promoting LGBT equality.
They play a critical role in creating gay-friendly workplaces. Their involvement can have a transformative effect on the culture of an organisation and the workplace experience of both gay and straight members of staff.
At Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service, Straight Allies will:
- Champion and promote LGBT equality
- Be a listening ear to work colleagues that may want to talk to someone
- Challenge homophobic language and behaviour in the work place
- Raise awareness of LGBT issues with straight work colleagues in an informal way
- Support the Services LGBT based events