Candles and divas are one of the biggest causes of fire within the home so people need to be educated about the dangers and damage they can cause.
If you use candles or tea lights we urge you to follow the key safety tips below to keep you, your home and your family safe:
- Make sure candles and tea lights are secured in a proper holder and away from materials that may catch fire – like curtains
- Keep candles and divas away from draughts and away from curtains, furniture, and anything else that can catch fire
- Never move a candle once it is lit
- Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause flaring (mainly with tea-lights)
- Never put divas or candles of any sort on top of televisions or other plastic surface when alight
- Put candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they’re put out completely at night
- Keep children and pets away from lit candles. NEVER use a candle for a night light
Divas and pujas
- Use only enough ghee or oil for a diva to last your prayers (puja)
- Priests from the Temples advise their congregation to put the diva out immediately after the prayers (pujas) are finished.
- Keep the flame at a safe distance from curtains, decorations and clothing at all times.
- If you do need to leave a diva, candle or night light unattended, make sure it is resting securely on a surface that will not melt or burn. Be aware of ash from incense falling onto flammable surfaces.
- Consider using electric or battery powered candles/lights (remember to check that they comply with UK and EU regulations – kitemark and CE symbol).
- Top tip: Close inside doors at night