Safety in High Rise and Rented Accommodation

If you live in privately rented accommodation, your landlord has to meet certain safety obligations under the law. This includes making sure all gas and electric appliances are safe and in good working order.

Smoke Alarms By Law

Your landlord must ensure that the property has at least one smoke alarm on every level of your home used as living accommodation. Government guidelines for landlords and tenants can be found here.

Gas Safety

Gas appliances must be checked by a Gas Safe registered gas fitter every year. Your landlord must ensure a carbon monoxide alarm is present in all rooms that contain a solid fuel burning appliance and are used as living accommodation. For more information on carbon monoxide click here.

Testing Alarms

Landlords must test smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on the first day of the tenancy but you, the tenant, are personally responsible for making sure they continue to work after the initial test.


If you are worried your landlord isn’t doing enough to ensure your safety, contact the environmental health officer at your local council for advice. For more information, check out the Fire Safety in Shared or Rented Accommodation leaflet.

Start typing and press Enter to search